Move every day. Six months from now you will thank yourself!
As the chill sets in and we snuggle on the couch in our baggy sweats and sweaters and begin to crave those calorie-high, but oh so good, comfort foods, it can be easy to forget to take care of ourselves. Winter has a way of slowing us down, a hibernation of sorts can set in, and in many ways that is a good thing. We all can use slow downtime. But to stay energized and engaged during these cold winter days and nights, and to feel mentally healthy and strong, moving our bodies every day and filling our bellies with greens is essential.
Especially in the colder months, when I move from my warm and cozy bed and get my feet on the floor, I can feel the stiffness in my joints and muscles. The cure – moving my body first thing in the morning. I created this short yoga routine to work out kinks in the morning and set myself up for a “feel great” day. So, take the challenge and let’s get our bodies moving first thing in the morning.
- Get your metabolism moving and groovin’ to burn more calories more efficiently during the day
- This morning yoga and stretch will improve your physical and mental energy throughout the day
- Cultivating a morning routine sets you up with establishing a personal discipline and dedication to your self-care. Note to self: “I MATTER!”
- Studies are showing that a morning routine (7 am) is the best time to exercise and get better sleep that night.
- Release that wake-up stiffness for a more easy and open day with your body.
- Stretch the psoas and hamstrings, stabilize hip abductors, and engage the core to start your day and support releasing lower back tension and tightness
- A positive beginning to your day sets the tone for an upbeat day
This practice below will take you about 30-minutes with Savasana and 40-minutes if you add a 10-minute meditation at the end.(more…)